Built around 1935, the site was originally occupied by the British General Electric Company (GE) and was home to one of the largest transformer manufacturing facilities in the Southern Hemisphere. The ornate and heritage listed 1930s Art Deco brick warehouse façade has been retained in the new scheme, giving the development a classic street appeal.
JPR Architects have provided a carefully considered architectural solution for The Powerhouse Apartments, which maintains the soaring industrial scaled spaces within the classic building. The site itself consists of 5 buildings, a number of which sit within the original steel framework of the site.
The original gantry beams and crane have been retained, running down the length of a landscaped pedestrian ‘street’ within the site, creating a striking industrial statement. Stairs, walkways and galleries within the site feature steel detail to reflect the heritage character of the old building.